Christopher is a Partner in the firm's Private Client team and has broad experience of a range of clients matters including the preparation of Wills, estate and tax planning, trust creation, Powers of Attorney and the administration of trusts and estates.
- Estate / tax planning
- Powers of Attorney
- Administration of estates and trusts
- Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Full Professional Member of Solicitors for the Elderly
- Charity Trustee for West Kent Mind
- Member of the Law Society Private Client Section
- Agricultural Law Association
- Country Landowners Association
Achievements, appointments & rankings
- Christopher is a recommended lawyer in Chamber UK 2015 as maintaining a broad Private Client practice.
Christopher specialises in capital taxes planning and helps clients to minimise inheritance tax and capital gains tax exposure whether through Will or trust planning or otherwise as part of the administration of an estate or trust.
Christopher has particular expertise in inheritance tax planning for clients with businesses and/or agricultural assets. He is a full member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners as well as Solicitors for the Elderly and lectures for CILEX Law School on various Private Client topics.
Christopher lays claim to having drafted the world’s highest Will at a height of 5,364 metres on a trek to Mount Everest Base Camp!
Christopher… “is hailed by clients as “exceedingly knowledgeable” on trusts and “extremely thorough” in his advice.” Chambers UK
“Brachers, under the stewardship of Christopher Eriksson-Lee and Amy Lane, made the process straight forward and quick. Their professional yet crystal clear, pragmatic approach made our estate planning easy to comprehend and with a definite purpose.
- Estate planning work for a wealthy couple which included the creation of Revocable Life Interest Trust Wills for maximum flexibility and asset protection purposes, Lasting Powers of Attorney for property and finance and health & welfare, numerous declarations of trust to transfer equity in investment properties in order to reduce exposure to income and capital gains tax and the setup of inheritance tax efficient lifetime trusts.
- Acting for wealthy husband and wife clients with a multi-million pound pension, which involved the creation of an inheritance tax efficient Spousal By-Pass Trust to reduce inheritance tax exposure on second death. This achieved a potential inheritance tax saving of circa. £70,000.
- Acting in the administration of an estate worth approximately £2 million which included business and agricultural assets and devising a planning strategy to make full of all inheritance tax reliefs available to the estate.
- Acting in the administration of an estate in excess of £1 million which involved an application to the Court for the appointment of an independent administrator to deal with the estate where creditors of the estate were conflicted from acting themselves.
- Achieving a considerable capital gains tax saving for beneficiaries of a Will trust being wound up by fragmenting the beneficial ownership of trust property through the use of a Memorandum of Appropriation and a declaration of trust.
- Advising the trustees of a number of related trusts on the overall tax planning strategy of the continuation of the trusts. This involved the winding up of one of the trusts and providing assistance with the administration of the trusts including the trustees about their ongoing duties and responsibilities.
- Advising clients on the negotiation process of settling an overdue inheritance tax liability.
Increase the amount that can pass to your family free of inheritance tax
A recent report revealed that the amount of Inheritance Tax (IHT) paid by British families has risen by more than 90% since 2010. Christopher Eriksson-Lee, Partner in Private Client explores the tax savings possible with careful planning. Read more23/05/16
The Promised Land
Has someone promised to leave you some land in their will? To what extent have you put yourself out – suffered a detriment – in reliance on that promise? How would you be affected if the promise was not fulfilled? Read more06/04/16
Thinking of diversifying? Be wary of the Inheritance Tax implications
In this article, Brachers’ Partner Christopher Eriksson-Lee, examines the changes in the traditional farming operation, the associated loss of inheritance tax reliefs and the planning options available to modern farming families to save inheritance tax. Read more16/03/16
The Spring 2016 Budget – 16 March 201615/03/16
Increases to Probate Court fees
On 18 February 2016 the government published a consultation on a new proposal about court fees payable when making applications for grants of representation. Read more15/03/16
Changes to the taxation of non-UK domiciled individuals
On 8 July 2015 the Chancellor announced plans to make three major changes to the taxation of UK resident, non-UK domiciled individuals with effect from 6 April 2017. Read more
- Court of Protection
- Powers of Attorney
- Probate & Estate Administration
- Residential Property, Farms & Estates
- Tax Planning
“It would not be possible to improve on the service. Chris did not rush us and took care to ensure we were completely happy.”
“I am enormously grateful for all your advice and input into all of this. We could never have sorted this out without your invaluable help.”
"Very approachable and friendly. Efficient and explained facts clearly in sensible language."
Sheila Kay (client)
"Most helpful and considerate."
“A very professional and efficient service provided in a very kind and considerate manner.”
Mark Fosbery (client)
“Service and support throughout were exemplary.”
“Chris and Sarah (Reza) were absolutely charming and we were impressed by the care given to ensure that we understood everything completely.”
Hilda Reffold (client)