Employment Law Update | Webinar
Abigail provides HR and employment law advice for a wide variety of clients, ranging from NHS Trusts and large companies to individual employees.
Abigail joined Brachers as a trainee in 2009 and qualified into the Employment team in September 2011. She has represented several NHS Trusts in cases covering unfair dismissal (including constructive dismissal), unlawful deduction from wages, discrimination and whistleblowing.
Abigail advises on a broad range of day-to-day workplace issues, both contentious and non-contentious, and is regularly called upon to give advice on settlement agreements. She also provides training for employers, focussing on providing practical guidance for businesses.
Abigail graduated from the University of Warwick with a degree in history and, after working for the Court Service, went on to study the Graduate Diploma in Law at Kingston University. She completed her Legal Practice Course with distinction at the College of Law, Guildford in 2008.
Qualifications and Memberships
- The Law Society
- Employment Lawyers Association
- Kent Law Society
Some of Abigail Brightwell's recent case studies include:
- Conducting claims for clients in the automotive and construction industry, including successfully defending claims for automatically unfair dismissal on health and safety grounds.
- Successfully defending a claim against an NHS Trust for an unlawful deduction from wages in relation to Junior Doctors.
- Advising on long-term sickness absence dismissal for global technology company.
- Assisting with reaching successful outcome in complex unlawful deductions claim for an NHS Trust worth £70,000.
Articles by Abigail