Employment Law Update - September 2018
Colin is committed to finding solutions for his clients. Whether that may be a tricky workplace grievance or disciplinary all the way through to large scale collective redundancies, TUPE transfer or tribunal claims.
Colin provides advice to clients to get them where they need to be as a business in a commercial and cost effective way. His focus is on early intervention and prevention, dealing with issues at an early stage before they escalate.
His tribunal experience spans a range of claims from half day hearing wages claims through to 1 to 3 day unfair dismissal claims and up to multiple day discrimination cases and multi claimant TUPE and collective redundancy claims.
Colin is dedicated in finding the right solution for each client and acts mainly for larger corporate clients in the construction, manufacturing, logistics and healthcare spheres as well as assisting senior executives in times of need. Colin qualified in 2001 and has specialised in employment law for over 15 years becoming Partner at Brachers in 2012.
Colin specialises in:
- Reorganisations, redundancy and restructuring
- TUPE (transfer of undertakings)
- Settlement and compromise agreements
- Tribunal claims
- Finding solutions.
Qualifications and Memberships
- The Law Society
- The Employment Lawyers Association
Some of Colin Smith's recent case studies include:
- Successfully defending employers in tribunal claims ranging with potential liabilities up to a million pounds.
- Representation of claims across a range of business types since 2001 defending a major international industrial ink manufacturer and corporate dental business to car manufacturers, security companies, foodservice businesses and a florist.
- Advising on a large scale (250+) collective redundancy processes.
- Handling multiple holiday pay claims and wider advice on holiday pay changes.
- Dealing with trade union recognition requests in the manufacturing sector.
Articles by Colin