Government’s ‘How to Rent’ guidance updated again
James is a Partner in the Dispute Resolution team, specialising in property disputes and licensing matters.
James qualified as a Solicitor in 1999, joined Brachers in 2002 and became a Partner in 2012. His expertise include landlord and tenant, land ownership disputes, rights over land, nuisance, professional negligence and possession. He regularly advises companies, charities, colleges, NHS Trusts and individuals in relation to all aspects of property related disputes.
James has experience of representing clients at Mediation and before the Tribunals, County Court, High Court and Court of Appeal.
In relation to alcohol and entertainment licensing, James prepares applications for new licences, deals with acquisitions and transfers, disputes relating to existing licenced premises, and representation at hearings. James has particular expertise relating to the licensing of sports and recreational facilities.
James has experience in a range of other litigation areas including general contract, disputed wills, debt recovery, insolvency and consumer law.
James specialises in:
- Property disputes
- Landlord and tenant
- Professional negligence
- Alcohol and entertainment licensing
Qualifications and Memberships
- Kent Law Society
- Property Litigation Association
Some of James Millis's recent case studies include:
- Advising an international manufacturing client upon dilapidations and lease disputes relating to UK based commercial property.
- Advising a College upon a dispute over access relating to a complex development and disposal scheme.
- Advising Companies upon commercial property dilapidations and repairs at the end of lease term.
- Acting for multiple tenants of a nationally significant wholesale market in relation to a multi-million pound redevelopment of the market site, including advice upon relocation, lease extension and new leases of an interim market location (part of a multi-phase development). Instruction by further tenants relating to early termination of their leases by landlord on redevelopment grounds and agreeing extension of existing leases pending future development.
Approximately 95% of James’ work is specifically on property litigation, with non-property related litigation and licensing work the remainder. James has over 20 years’ experience of litigation work and during that time assisted hundreds of clients with their disputes.
Articles by James