Head of Healthcare inducted into prestigious legal Hall of Fame
John Sheath has over 35 years’ experience in advising and supporting the NHS and has developed the successful healthcare team to become a regional market leader. In 2008 he obtained an MBA with distinction including a thesis on knowledge management in the health sector at Nottingham Trent University.
John’s extensive experience includes the support of NHS clients through major incidents including Kent & Canterbury Hospital (cervical smears), East Kent Health Authority (Dr Ayling), East Kent NHS Hospitals (Rodney Ledward), West Kent HA (Michael Stone), Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust (C Difficile) and Sussex NHS Partnership (alleged corporate manslaughter).
His extensive experience covers Court of Protection emergency declarations, GMC and GDC proceedings and Performance List Panels; Judicial Review and advice on major reorganisations and consultation procedures. He has developed a substantial inquest practice for NHS Trusts and a leading defence organisation.
He supports NHS training on specialist topics such as consent, confidentiality and capacity, DoLs information governance, professional accountability, the legal implications of record keeping and provides first-hand practical training for staff in the form of mock inquest and tribunal hearings.
John specialises in:
- Healthcare & Medical Defence
- Inquests & coroners courts
- Complaints and independent reviews
- Health & Safety
- Governance and risk management
Qualifications and Memberships
- The Law Society
- The Health & Safety Lawyers Association
John's recent cases include:
- Re (HSE) -v- Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust 2014.
- Re K, Court of Protection 2014,; Surgical review and suspension of laparoscopic keyhole surgery MTW
- 2016 Re JP High Court QBD possession order ( bed blocking )
- Re A Family High Court 2016 refusal of blood transfusion (17 year old patient with capacity )
Articles by John