Trustees now able to challenge the validity of a notice when issued with a penalty
Justine is the Head of the Firm’s Trust Team. She is an experienced senior trust manager with a wealth of knowledge which has been gained over 28 years in trust management.
Justine has an in depth understanding of the various types of trusts and related tax issues including Inheritance Tax, which includes Agricultural and Business Property Relief, Capital Gains Tax and Income Tax. She also deals with the completion of all related tax returns, inheritance tax accounts and the audit of annual trust accounts.
Justine advises trustees on their obligations and provides guidance and assistance as required. She ensures that all trust formalities are adhered to within the appropriate deadlines and that all relevant trust documentation is completed. Trust matters are also kept under review to ensure that these are being dealt with in accordance with current legislation and are compliant.
Justine has experience in dealing with trusts at varying levels of complexity and value including high net worth family trusts. She also advises on trust structures, lifetime planning and also has offshore trust exposure. She has been involved in successful negotiations with HMRC regarding tax investigations.
Justine specialises in:
- Management of Trusts
- Advice to Trustees
- Trust Taxation
- Trust Compliance
- Professional Trustee Services
- Tax Planning
Justine is also a trustee of The Blackthorn Trust, which provides a supportive therapeutic environment in which people with mental and chronic physical illness can recover, grow and develop.
Some of Justine Sloover's recent case studies include:
- Acting on a complex family trust which holds shares in a family business worth around £8m. Advising trustees on the termination of the trust to ensure that the shares are passed to the beneficiaries in the most tax efficient way. Dealing with all associated tax reporting. Includes review on eligibility for Business Property Relief and making claim to HMRC.
- Providing guidance and advice to trustees on the reorganisation of a trust taking into account beneficial interests and requirements for provision of school fee payments.
- Acting for the trustees of three family trusts where significant payments / loans have been made to the beneficiaries. Undertaking full review of arrangements to ensure that these are managed in the most tax efficient way. Seeking concession from HMRC to achieve dormant trust status, where appropriate, to reduce annual administration costs for client.
- Acting in the administration of a discretionary settlement and providing advice to the trustees following the sale of land held under the terms of an option agreement. Considering tax implications and advising on part distribution of trust fund to beneficiaries. Dealing with ongoing management of settlement.
As Justine specialises in trusts, most of her time is spent on trust related work at various levels of complexity. Due to Justine’s level of experience, she tends to focus on dealing with trust and tax planning matters for high net worth clients.
Articles by Justine