Brachers lawyer becomes Dementia Champion
Mary is a Senior Associate with over 15 years’ experience as a private client solicitor and heads up the department’s Elderly and Vulnerable team.
Mary regularly advises clients on complex wills, including advising individuals of appropriate ways for providing for disabled and vulnerable beneficiaries. She also deals with estate planning work for wealthy clients including business owners and those with agricultural interests.
Mary specialises in later life planning including powers of attorney, deputyships and looking after the personal affairs of clients for whom BTC are deputy or attorney.
Mary deals with estate administration and has experience of complex estates including farming and business assets and advises on post-death planning through deeds of variation.
Mary is a trustee of both Maidstone Mencap and Spadework, both of which she is passionate about supporting both in and outside of the office.
Mary has given talks to local charities including Mencap and Tunbridge Wells Mental Health Services on topics relating to elderly and vulnerable clients such as wills and estate planning, powers of attorney and deputyships. She has also written articles for publication including the Trusts and Estates Journal and South East Farmer.
Mary is a full member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and a full professional member of the Solicitors for the Elderly. She is also a member of the STEP Mental Capacity Special Interest Group and the STEP Charities Special Interest Group, Court of Protection Practitioners’ Group (CoPPA) and Action on Elder Abuse.
Mary enjoys being able to help clients put their legal affairs in order and strives to do with a practical yet sensitive approach.
Mary specialises in:
- Wills for clients with a wide range of requirements.
- Estate and tax planning.
- The creation and registration of Lasting Powers of Attorney and the registration of Enduring Powers of Attorney.
- Administration of estates and post-death planning through deeds of variation.
- Court of Protection applications including Deputyship applications and looking after the general affairs of the elderly and vulnerable.
Qualifications and Memberships
- Kent Law Society
- STEP full membership
Mary's recent cases include:
- Advising clients on the use of a discretionary trust will for their disabled child as a means of safeguarding their estate during their child’s lifetime and advising on the appointment of trustees.
- Advising client on completing a deed of variation from her father’s estate to transfer monies into a discretionary trust and preparing a loan from the trust back to the client to mitigate the inheritance tax liability on death. The process saved approximately £260,000 of inheritance tax.
- Advising a client with a degenerative brain disorder on the importance of making Lasting Powers of Attorney and preparing the documents for them.
Mary is passionate about and specialises in Elderly and Vulnerable work. She spends approximately a third of her time dealing with this area, a third with wills and estate planning and a third with probate and estate administration.
Articles by Mary