Son given authority to gift himself £6 million by Court of Protection
Mary qualified as a solicitor in 2003 and joined the Private Client team at Brachers as a Senior Associate in 2017.
Mary specialises primarily in providing advice on wills, tax and estate planning, powers of attorney and estate administration. She has particular expertise in inheritance tax planning for clients with businesses and/or agricultural assets.
Mary has given talks to Mencap and Tunbridge Wells Mental Health Services for Older People.
Mary enjoys being able to help clients put their legal affairs in order and strives to do with a practical yet sensitive approach.
Mary specialises in:
- Wills for clients with a wide range of requirements
- Estate and tax planning
- The creation and registration of Lasting Powers of Attorney and the registration of Enduring Powers of Attorney
- Administration of estates and post-death planning through deeds of variation.
- Deputyship applications and looking after the general affairs of the elderly and vulnerable.
Qualifications and Memberships
- Kent Law Society
- STEP full membership
Mary's recent cases include:
- Advising clients on the use of a discretionary trust will for their disabled child as a means of safeguarding their estate during their child’s lifetime and advising on the appointment of trustees.
- Advising client on completing a deed of variation from her father’s estate to transfer monies into a discretionary trust and preparing a loan from the trust back to the client to mitigate the inheritance tax liability on death. The process saved approximately £260,000 of inheritance tax.
- Advising a client with a degenerative brain disorder on the importance of making Lasting Powers of Attorney and preparing the documents for them.
Articles by Mary