• Currently, couples who choose to live together rather than marry have little legal protection if they separate. Many believe as common law partners they have the same rights as married couples. Unfortunately, this is a legal myth and people often find themselves in difficulties when they separate. One solution is for cohabitating couples to put in place a cohabitation agreement, drawn up by solicitors, which clarifies how family affairs including financial provisions for any children and the home should be regulated both now and in the future.

    With house prices ever rising, an increasing number of parents are assisting their children financially to enable them to take the first step on the housing ladder by providing the deposit, or sometimes by providing an even a greater contribution towards the purchase price. Such financial assistance is often conditional on it being ring-fenced should the adult child in question decide to cohabit or marry. The parent and the child will wish to protect those funds should that relationship ever flounder. This is where a specialist family lawyer can assist in providing clear advice as to how those monies can be best protected.

    Increasingly parents encourage their children to consider entering into a pre-nuptial agreement or to enter into a cohabitation agreement if marriage is yet not on the cards. An alternative to consider is whether a charge or declaration of trust is appropriate at the very outset which can be registered against the title to the property.

    The Family Law team at Brachers can provide specialist legal advice on ways in which to protect your position in the event of a relationship breakdown, including your rights concerning any children and property.

    This content is correct at time of publication

    Can we help?

    Take a look at our Family and Divorce page for useful information, resources, guidance, details of our team and how we may be able to help you

  • Key contact:

    Get in touch

    Please fill out the below form or alternatively you can call us on 01622 690691

      By submitting an enquiry through 'get in touch' your data will only be used to contact you regarding your enquiry. If you subscribe to any of our newsletters, you can unsubscribe any time using the link in the email. Please view our privacy statement for more information