Brachers defend optometrist before the GOC
Kelly is an Associate in the Healthcare & Medical Defence Team. Kelly specialises in defendant healthcare law, advising on a range of issues affecting medical professionals.
Kelly completed her training at Brachers between 2005 and 2007. After qualification she worked as a solicitor for two years in Central London before returning to Brachers’ Personal Injury Team in 2010.
Kelly acts on behalf of medical insurers in relation to negligence claims brought against individual medical practitioners including GPs, private surgeons and dentists. She has experience of handling complex, multi-party litigation of high value.
As well as advising on issues of healthcare and medical defence, Kelly also provides advice and support to medical professionals who find themselves criticised by their regulatory authority. Kelly has represented practitioners subject to investigation by the General Medical Council, General Dental Council and General Optical Council.
Kelly regularly provides representation at inquests on behalf of local NHS trusts and medical practitioners. She is also a useful ‘port of call’ for medical staff facing unusual or time-critical situations and has advised on issues such as obtaining injunctions against patients, surrogacy and disclosure of information.
Kelly specialises in:
- Healthcare & Medical Defence
- Representing private medical professionals and NHS trust staff at inquests
- Providing advice to NHS trusts
- Representing medical practitioners before their regulatory authority (GMC/GDC/GOC).
Qualifications and Memberships
- The Law Society
- Kent Law Society
Kelly's recent cases include:
- Advising a medical insurer client regarding the settlement of a complex clinical negligence matter which settled for £3.25m.
- Successfully defending a surgeon at trial in the Central London County Court.
Articles by Kelly