Kim is an experienced trust manager with a wealth of knowledge gained over a career spanning 30 years at Brachers.
She has managed a wide range of trusts and has an in-depth knowledge of the day to day issues of trust administration.
Kim has provided advice across the generations for many of Brachers long-standing clients and continues to do so. She has a particular expertise in running charitable settlements and administers Brachers own charitable trust.
Kim specialises in:
- Management of trusts
- Advice to trustees
- Trust compliance
- Charitable settlements
Qualifications and Memberships
- Fellow of the Institute of Paralegals
- Trustee of Age UK Maidstone
Some of Kim Harrington's recent case studies include:
- Dealing with the death of a life tenant within a complicated trust arrangement, including a commercial property portfolio. Ensuring the ongoing life tenant’s share is dealt with effectively within two different tax regimes. Part is held within the relevant property regime and part held under existing life interest arrangements.
- Dealing with the surrender of a life interest to enable assets to be passed down to grandchildren in the most tax efficient way. Considering all tax implications for the life tenant and beneficiaries.
- Administering a sizeable charitable trust. Supporting the trustees in the decision making and implementation of a large donation to further a charitable objective. Chairing trustee meetings and attending to annual reporting requirements for the Charity Commission.
Kim spends the majority of her time on trust work especially charitable and more complicated trust arrangements.